Joint AGS / ATS Evening Technical Meeting
Geotechnical Engineering and the Law
Nicholas Gallina, Senior Associate, Allens
Nick will follow up the presentation he delivered last year. He will discuss new topics such as negligence claims and the use of dispute resolution boards to resolve large engineering disputes, as well as revisiting, in light of recent case law, some of the topics he covered last year, such as expert evidence and proportionate liability. He will also present some examples of without prejudice communications to help you better understand when this privilege applies and when it doesn't.
Topics will include:
· Expert Witness – When might courts refuse to admit an expert's report? Dura (Aust) Constructions v Hue Boutique Living  VSC 99
· Latent conditions – Who should take the risk for ground related risk?
· Proportionate liability – Who can be a 'concurrent wrongdoer'? Utility Services Corporation v SPI Electricity  VSCA 158
· Dispute Resolution – Advantages and disadvantages of court litigation, arbitration, mediation, negotiation.
· Dispute Resolution Boards
· Negligence claims
· Without prejudice communications - how can they help you?
Speaker: Nicolas Gallina is a construction lawyer with litigation and dispute resolution experience. Before joining Allens in 2007, he was a principal engineer, project manager and project director with AECOM. He has acted for private and government clients in the mining, energy generation, heavy rail and large retail sectors on a range of disputes and advises on strategies to minimise disputes in complex construction engineering projects, expert evidence, calls on securities, contract administration and the mediation and negotiation of construction disputes.
Time: Commencing at 6:00 pm (with refreshments at 5:30pm) and finishing at 7:30 pm
Where: Engineers Australia Vic Division Building, 21 Bedford St, North Melbourne
Cost: Free, refreshments provided
Event Organiser: Chris Lyons 9668 5623